Has gTLD's hurt the value of .com domains? Anytime you have saturation and confusion values can and will be affected. #Domains #newgtlds— Rick Schwartz (@DomainKing) March 17, 2017
Honorable Rick Schwartz is
a domainer a domain name investor and has no lesson to receive in terms of buying and reselling domain names. Note that domain name investing has nothing to do with cybersquatting: it is today a very serious job and some successful investors are able to earn thousands of dollars.Some new domain names are sometimes sold for more than $100,000.00...just for one single name.
We all read complaints about new domain names from the ICANN new gTLD programs and I believe this post from M. Schwartz explains part of it, if not all.
New domain names are offering something new and I agree here that the market is being flooded, sometimes creating confusion but - as a person to keep a very close eye on the new gTLD world and its evolution - I also noticed that the major part of those who keep complaining that "new gTLDs are failing"..are the one involved in reselling ".com" domain names: a value which is being lowered due to the high volume of new domain names released to the market. I understand the frustration but new gTLDs were not created for speculators.
Some domainers thought that investing in new generic second level domains would make them earn fast cash. Unfortunately, this will take longer to happen since there are now so many new domain name extensions. I personally invested in "newsletter.tokyo" and "newsletter.ski"
The funny thing is that registry who recently announced an increase of his prices to remain profitable (taking registrants to pay a higher price), and some to conclude that the entire new gTLD program was a failure due to this: did you look around who is complaining? I did.
In the end...very few are.
In the end...very few are.
What you missed from our previous Newsletters:
- Company launching .HEALTH to beat .com and .org
- Inaction on Discriminatory Treatment of .GAY
- Cybersquatting disputes relating to new gTLDs rose to 16%;
- Power Rangers (the movie): http://www.powerrangers.movie/
- Answering your brand TLD questions;
- Domain Name Drama;
- A registry slashed its wholesale prices up to 97%;
- ICANN58 Copenhagen: The TMCH Debate;
- UA of New Top-Level Domains Reloaded;
- New gTLD Domains Win The SEO Hero Contest;
- ICANN wants response on Domain Name System study;
- What the DOT is going on?
- Study reveals that new gTLDs comprise seven of the top 10 domains used by spammers;
- .LOAN has over 1,500,000 general and premium domain registrations;
- IP professionals hit back after new call to rethink online trademark protection mechanisms;
- HOT - Communication agencies and ".BRANDs";
- Let’s Talk About Worst Case New gTLD Scenarios;
- New .Health Top-Level Domain is coming;
- Do you use .home and .mail on your network?
- Future .BRAND applicants: did you notice?
- Tech giant Amazon has adopted and currently utilizes the fully-Chinese domain name 亚马逊.在线;
- The scramble for the .africa domain name has been long and brutal, and it isn’t over yet;
- Schilling expects GoDaddy to return after dumping Uniregistry gTLDs;
- The Wait Continues for .Corp, .Home and .Mail;
- Can .ART domain give the art business an online boost?
- Poll: what would motivate you to buy domains under any of the new gtlds?
- .AFRICA joins the internet;
- ICANN and the future of the new gTLDs;
- Africa gets its own Internet domain, 25 years after the WWW launched;
- ICANN's Special Privileges for Trademark Owners are The.WORST
- Frank Schilling explains price hike
- Nouvelles extensions: tous à vos ".MARQUES"? (in French);
- Is .GUITARS a failed TLD?
- Getting linguistic with new top level domains;
- The new gTLD sky is not falling…
- Inside ICANN - Draft 0.5 of the New gTLD Guidebook;
- Uncertainty Could Doom the New Domain Names;
- Will other registries increase their price?
- Co-marketing agreement with .CLUB and .BAR;
- Interesting (.BRAND new gTLDs' list);
- Root Stability Study Final Report Now Available;
- Here are Uniregistry new TLD prices;
- New gTLDs are Like Used Cars;
- Donuts gaat in hoger beroep, lancering .WEB veraf;
- .SUCKS en promo, une aubaine pour les cybersquatteurs (in French).