The Technical Services Senior Manager is part of a group of gTLD technical experts. The Manager is primarily responsible for managing technical systems related to gTLD registries and registrars, and to provide technical feedback to other departments. The Manager is someone with years of experience in the technical side of a registry and/or registrar of domain names.
Key Responsibilities & Duties
- Provide Internet systems engineering and technical support (80-90% of the time) and manage technical projects and external relationships (10% of the time), to address operational issues impacting gTLD (generic Top-Level Domain) registries and registrars.
- Provide level 3 technical support and subject matter expertise to resolve complex systems engineering and technical issues.
- Serve as a technical resource on Internet system registry and registration services, Domain Name System (DNS) security issues, and Internationalized Domain Names (IDNs).
- Design technical protocols to facilitate the interaction between the Registries, Registrars, Data Escrow Agents, Trademark Clearing House (TMCH), etc.
- Provide technical oversight and advice for the gTLD registry accreditation/application process, and the evaluation and consideration of new services through the Registry Services Evaluation Process (RSEP).
- Manage technical projects involving other internal areas, contractors, and Internet community volunteers.
- Write detailed reports to document interactions with gTLD Registries and Registrars.
- Develop and implement processes to streamline operational activities.
- Guide efforts to integrate programs and processes.
- As needed, provide support to the Contractual Compliance team to facilitate gTLD Registry compliance with the technical aspects of agreements and policy, to the Policy team for implementation of new gTLD registry policies, and to other teams to resolve issues impacting gTLD Registries and Registrars.
- Answer questions and assist in the resolution of disputes with Internet registries, registrars and community members.
- Prepare detailed technical documentation, reports, presentations, and speeches for both internal and external audiences.
- From time to time, attend and participate in regional and international Internet technical forums and community meetings.
- Other duties as assigned or requested.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities (KSAs)
- Broad knowledge and experience in Domain Name System (DNS), DNS Security Extensions (DNSSEC), Extensible Provisioning Protocol (EPP), WHOIS/RDAP, and Data Escrow standards.
- Demonstrated ability in at least one high-level programming language (e.g., Perl, Python, Java).
- Excellent skills as a power user of Unix systems.
- Very good English-writing skills in relation to technical documents.
- Experience using XLM and JSON.
- Bachelor's or equivalent degree in Computer Science, Systems Engineering, Information Systems, or related field, plus 10 years of progressive, post-baccalaureate experience in the job, or in a technical capacity with a Top-Level Domain (TLD) registry or domain name registrar.
- Alternatively, will accept a master's or equivalent degree in Computer Science, Systems Engineering, Information Systems, or related field, plus 5 years of experience in the job, or in a technical capacity with a Top-Level Domain (TLD) registry or domain name registrar.
- Ideally, experience with Internationalized Domain Names for Applications (IDNA).
Education and Experience Requirements
- Minimum of 10 years of experience with a bachelor's degree, or 5 years of experience with a master's degree, in Computer Science, Systems Engineering, Information Systems, or related field.
- Minimum 10 years of progressive work experience in _technical capacity with a Top-Level Domain (TLD) registry or domain name registrar.
- Values diversity and gives preference to candidates with demonstrated skills in languages in addition to proficient written and spoken English.
Working Conditions & Physical Requirements
- Work is performed in a normal office environment with limited privacy and some exposure to background noise.
- Work Location is Los Angeles.
- Willingness and ability to travel domestically and internationally 5% of the time.