38 cities in the world submitted one or more applications to own their name as a domain name extension:
- Some applied for several TLDs such as .BCN and .BARCELONA for the city of Barcelona;
- Some, like the city of Moscow applied for the same string in their ASCII and IDN version;
- In certain cases, the TLD does not only represent the city itself but an entire municipality or an emirate like it is the case for Abu Dhabi;
- Some strings were applied for the same name but in different languages like the city of Koeln (and Cologne).
- We added .TOURS as a city since it also represents the city of Tours in France (even if the city of Tours has probably not noted its existence yet);
- The last to have been added is the .BOSTON new gTLD which was delegated last week.
What you missed in our previous Newsletter:
- 4 new gTLD were delegated;
- The tables are turned: now Donuts can delay Verisign;
- The Business Benefits of Not-Com Domain Names;
- HOT - Adopting a Creative Domain Extension;
- Some article about new gTLDs & Universal Acceptance;
- The ICRC:
- Letter from the Red Cross asking for full protection of "redcross" and "redcrescent";
- Answer from the ICANN.
- New gTLDs with a FRENCH connotation;
- HOT - New gTLDs related to CITIES;
- New gTLDs related to CATERING;
- New gTLDs related to PHOTOGRAPHY.