This report is my personal choice on extensions in which I believe that companies should secure their domain name with and this is what I noticed from the October/November report:
- There's not so much red in the report compared to other reports:
- In blue, registration volumes increase significantly;
- In red, they decrease.
- Six extensions have more than 100,000 domain names registered and from that list, only .APP kept growing and never saw a decrease in its volume of domains registered. The TLD has now more than 330,000 registrations.
- I think that the .EMAIL is an absolute "must have" for obvious reasons.
- The .WORLD new gTLD also exists in its Chinese script, the .世界 Top-Level Domain.
- The .COMPANY new gTLD also exists in its Chinese script, the .公司 Top-Level Domain (this one stands for "business organization actually".
- The .BEST new gTLD changed hands recently and its volume of registrations is growing again. I registered jovenet.best.
- The .APP and .PAGE new gTLDs belong to Google and are growing fast, none lost registrations since they were launched.
- Some TLDs are confusing: the .WEB is coming but .WEBSITE and .SITE are already here. In total, the .WEBSITE new gTLD gained 2,000+ registrations since January 2018 and I wonder if this is not a bad sign for this registry.
- The .CONTACT new gTLD sticks to one single domain name registration: I don't understand the strategy for this TLD and I think that "finance" is the issue.
- Four extensions only have less registrations in November 2018 than what they had in January from the same year.
- The .COMPANY and .商标 (".trademark") are on the right track and just "keep growing" in numbers.
- The .集团 (corporate group) lost half of its registrations since January 2018.
- Note that at the moment you are reading this report, the .ONLINE new gTLD passed the one million domain name registrations.
- This one is to please Jean Christophe: the .INC new gTLD is launching.
Post a Comment
Interested in learning if it makes sense to create your own new domain name extension? Ask Jovenet Consulting for your SWOT analysis.