Reminder, we recently added two reports for two types of new gTLD applications: Community and Geographic.links pointing to this new social media.
Saturday, September 30, 2023
Wednesday, September 6, 2023
We just joined the new App entitled Bluesky where we will probably be migrating from Twitter, (now called "X"). Note that we will keep posting on Twitter since this move is new and the app is not yet officially opened : it requires a invitation code to join.
Once you have joined (and once you have joined only), you can use: gtld.bsky.social and add us. If you have not joined, it will probably take you to the frontpage of Bluesky.
The reason for this move is simple:
- I, Jean Guillon, don't like the way Elon Musk communicates on Twitter because he owns the application: I do not accept his speach on Ukraine. What is going on right now is not acceptable. I like Teslas though.
- Twitter is becoming a spam machine, it happens more and more that I am (automatically?) retweeted by bots dealing with things that have absolutely nothing to do with new gTLDs: accounts from naked women for example. This is annoying.
Also, the non-consensual nudity policy is too hypocritical for me. I extracted this from this policy "Pornography and other forms of consensually produced adult content are allowed on Twitter, provided that this media is marked as sensitive. Doing so provides people who may not want to see this type of content with a warning that they will need to acknowledge before viewing your media". This is pure crap. I have stopped reporting accounts, it is useless and nothing changes.
This is not the kind of tool I want to use for my profession.
Wednesday, August 30, 2023
Tuesday, August 29, 2023
Please note that this list of Top-Level Domains is filtered from the official delegated applications of the ICANN website. It is unclear to me if is updated from time to time since .SKI appears as community application, as well as .BUGATTI (which was recently terminated). The same applies for .BAR which is listed as a Geographic application as well as .DOHA which was terminated. One is even listed as a community and geographic application: .SCOT.
Check the reports:
Wednesday, August 23, 2023
- The network of accredited Registrars (when Registrars want them as a TLD to sell),
- Premium domain names
- Press Release
- Auto promotion in the online press
- Give away for one year
- Promotion at Registrars
- There are probably other ways but I try to be fast in my publications.
New and innovative methods:
- I believe Registries can sell more and meet with adoption when they already have a network willing to buy "now" (and this information should be validated prior to creating the new gTLD application). It is precicsly what community TLDs try to achieve but numbers don't lie and - with experience - I believe this method would be much more efficient if community applications were just generic applications.
- Poiting the Registry DNS to a CMS (Content Management System).
- It is what the .TEL Registry attempted to do prior to the first Round of the ICANN new gTLD program in 2007. They succeeded and then failed. They were settlers but I was a serious fan of .TEL and kept using and renewing mine until Round 1 of new gTLDs in 2010. The .TEL was a directory solution which required to buy a domain name, use a second login and password to access its CMS, which then required to set up the directory: quite complex at the time but very innovative and exciting for the owner.
- It is what the .BEST Registry (participant in Round of new gTLDs) is achieving right now after acquiring the TLD from its initial owner. The domain name is then automatically set-up when downloading the APP onto your mobile: https://app.best/. By the way, registrations are increasing in 2023.
- Using a .BRAND to offer a service using a CMS: the method here is quite simple, it requires to sell a service, not a domain name. If this method does not benefit from the network of accredited Registrars, it kills all other problems met by the .TEL Registry in 2007: one login and one password "only" and operating costs reduced. Want to check for an example?
Tuesday, August 15, 2023
- ICANN: "...we anticipate that the AGB will be finalized in May 2025, which enables the application round to open in Q2 2026 (with the goal of April 2026). Any delays to the timeline of the Policy Implementation work stream will cause delays to the opening of the round" (source).
- The .MUSIC Sunrise Period starts 11 September 2023 to 15 November 2023 (source).
- It is over for Jean Lassalle, Former Deputy in the National Assembly of France, to complain about the .LASALLE new gTLD, the Trademark Claims Period eneded on Jul 2023 (source). Note that this is a joke.
- On the .HOTEL Independent Review Process (IRP) documents, there is something new dated July 2023 but good luck with this reading (source).
- The .SPORT new gTLD was transferred in July (source).