- The .HIPHOP new gTLD (1 960+ domains sold worldwide);
- The .COUNTRY new gTLD (1 470+ domains sold);
The .DANCE new gTLD (5,240+ domains sold).
For a reason I still don't understand, when I think "Rap", I think of "Kanye West": for the quality of his Rap probably, but maybe also for his...eccentricity. His wife has probably something to do with this by the way. I also think about Birdman, Diddy, Dr. Dre, Jay Z and 50 Cent too.
A domain name extension is unique and whatever is said about them, each new gTLD application is a monopoly too.
There are two reasons why I believe that famous rappers would be successful applicants for the .RAP new gTLD:
- Eccentric people like uniqueness and a monopoly clearly answers that need of uniqueness: wouldn't a famous rapper want to be the only person to own the .RAP domain name extension for domain names such as www.birdman.rap or www.music.rap?
Another reason: can you imagine 50 Cent paying Jay Z to register the domain name "50cent.rap"? ;-)
- The first round of the ICANN new gTLD program clearly showed that new domain names are difficult to sell and to be able to sell, you clearly need a Dr .Dre to show off with a domain name ending in ".rap". Such famous rappers like Kayne West and Jay Z are famous enough to propagate such information.
- "rap" is not prohibited by the ICANN to submit an application: it is no ISO 3166 alpha-3 code;
- there was no application submitted in round one of the ICANN new gTLD program;
- the RAP business is a multi-billion industry: can you imagine what a .RAP new gTLD would generate in terms of domain names sold?
The .RAP new gTLD is "not" one the TLDs listed in my official list.