What it means:
It means that the registry offers to buy a domain name for a cheap price starting January 2017 and it will then try to have buyers to renew the domain name at a much higher price at the moment to renew the domain name.
- don't buy these domain names;
- don't participate in making the web worst than it already is;
- don't be fooled by such practice.
During one year, starting in January 2017, your Trademark will be more exposed to infringements because of the low price of these domain names. Also, it will cost almost nothing to register yourname.sucks or yourtrademark.sucks for a third party.
- don't pay attention if someone tries to annoy you because the price to renew these domain name will be higher so a squatter will probably not renew it;
- when paying attention to squatters, you increase their willing to renew a domain name;
- if you think this is going too far, have a look at the PDDRP Procedure at ICANN (Trademark Post-Delegation Dispute Resolution Procedure): "The Trademark PDDRP generally addresses a Registry Operator's complicity in trademark infringement on the first or second level of a New gTLD".
- don't participate in making the web worst than it already is...
- Coming new gTLD: the .HOSPITAL new gTLD should be delegated soon;
- Cognac Producer Successfully Obtains Domains Reproducing its Brand Under new gTLDs;
- NAR Has Moved to nar.realtor;
- HOT - Your Trademark never wants to face this: http://hyatt.sucks/
- Coming in 2017, new domain name registration volumes for businesses related to adults;
- ICANN picks Madrid for next gTLD industry meeting.
Domain name registration volumes:
Since most new gTLDs have launched, reports will be updated on a monthly basis starting January 2017.
- New gTLDs related to CATERING;
- New gTLDs related to PHOTOGRAPHY;
- New gTLDs related to CITIES;
- New gTLDs "sounding French";
- HOT - New gTLDs related to COMPANIES;
- New gTLDs related to the LAW;
- New gTLDs related to FINANCE (a lot of red this week);
- New gTLDs related to COLORS.
Our reports are available here.
Recent Trademark Clearinghouse Sunrise Period announcements
Note to our readers: starting January 2017, the content of our Newsletter will be sent by email only. It will not be made available online anymore on www.newsletter.domains.