Why have no stars applied in Round one of the ICANN new gTLD program? We would have expected a ".kanyewest" or a ".kardashian", a ".taylorswift" or the IDN ".beyoncé" but no star submitted an application to become the first, worldwide, to massively propagate his/her popularity offering fans the chance to create websites using their name.
And what about other uses such as a www.rap.kanyewest - www.kim.kardashian - www.music.taylorswift or www.singleladies.beyoncé or just some fan.rihanna, jackie.chan,
...but there will be a ".richardli" new gTLD
One applicant "only" considered submitting an application for his name followed by his family name and I must admit that the person to have provided new gTLD consultancy services was good here because Richard Li is writing history.
Richard Li is no pop star; Richard Li is a Hong Kong Business Super Star. The Front Page of his websites says: "Now is the time to go out, rather than meandering and relying on existing old models... If there is a vision, you should just go out and do it". Aren't new generic Top-Level Domains an answer to that statement?
Richard Li did not consider applying for his name only. He and partner companies applied for several TLDs: IDNs and Latin ones:
- Since a company has to apply for a new gTLD, ".richardli" was submitted by a company named Pacific Century Asset Management (HK) Limited;
- ".pccw" was submitted by PCCW Enterprises Limited;
- ".hkt" was submittted by PCCW-HKT DataCom Services Limited;
- " .香港電訊" was submitted by PCCW-HKT DataCom Services Limited and then withdrawned;
- ".電訊盈科" was submitted by PCCW Enterprises Limited.