There are discussions at ICANN on the subject at the moment and there will be more. A probably interesting one was the one from the GAC discussing the next steps following the ICANN bylaws changes. There should even be a more interesting one entitled "New gTLD Program Reviews" to take place this Saturday, November 5 between 13:45 and 14:45.
I downloaded the presentation and there is a slide - on page four - which tells a lot about what the date od "Round 2" might be. As usual, it is entitled "Program Reviews & Policy Timeline (Projected)", because no one, in the ICANN community, will ever take the risk to mention a date again :-)
It is important to know that a lot of interested parties in the new gTLD business want the second round of the ICANN new gTLD program to open as fast as possible but they are not the only ones: more and more Trademarks show signs that they want to submit an application too.
Some parties don't want of another round to happen for several reasons and one of them is that ".com has to remain kind". Another one is that...it takes time to install new domain names and flooding the market with even more domain name extension won't now help.
It also appears that the ICANN community wants Geographic domain name extensions and .BRAND new gTLD applicants to be able to submit an application as soon as possible. Unfortunately, it is not what the documentation says on page 4 of next Saturday's presentation because according to my understanding of this document, the earliest date that I read is not before 2020.
What you missed in our previous Newsletters:
- Should new gTLDs be first-come, first-served?
- .DOCTOR : 1,400 domains on day 1;
- Governments mull greater geo gTLD powers;
- Applications to ICANN for Community-based new gTLDs;
- The .BUZZ auction;
- Algorithm Red Flags Potentially Dangerous Domain Names at Time of Purchase;
- The .商店 (store) Sunrise Period ends soon;
- Percentage of Parked New gTLD;
- .blog Domains: Let the Landrush Begin;
- Playstation: not ready (New gTLDs Universal Acceptance);
- ICANN: Board Governance Committee Meeting;
- .Buzz top level domain name hits market for $3. 5 million+
- The .BABY Sunrise Period begins;
- The Strength of Top-Level Domains in UDRP Decisions;
- Want To Buy A New gTLD?
- Insights from ICANN 57, Hyderabad;
- ICANN57 Preview: What to Expect in Hyderabad;
- DomainWire Global TLD Report 2016/3
- .BASEBALL & .BASKETBALL
- Gear.club (download and Play)
- New gTLDs in which Companies should consider securing their domains.
Domain name registration volumes:
- Cool - Singular VS Plural new gTLDs;
- New gTLDs related to FRENCH applications;
- New gTLDs related to RELIGION (see the .FAITH new gTLD);
- New gTLDs related to HEALTH (see the .DOCTOR new gTLD);
- New gTLDs related to CARS (see the .VOLVO new gTLD);;
- Cool - Generic new gTLDs (see the .XYZ new gTLD).
Recent Trademark Clearinghouse Sunrise Period announcements
Note to our readers: starting January 2017, the content of our Newsletter will be sent by email only. It will not be made available online anymore on www.newsletter.domains.
Post a Comment
Interested in learning if it makes sense to create your own new domain name extension? Ask Jovenet Consulting for your SWOT analysis.