Note that .MOTO (a .BRAND) is not the plural of .MOTORCYCLES but it could look like and the same applies to .NEW and .NEWS Top-Level Domains.
This is my review of these extensions - in terms of volumes of domain names created - by their respective registries.
So : "S" or no "S" ?
My answer really refers to no specific logic but just a reading of the figures and I don't find them attractive, it's clearly a "no" to me:
- Almost no Singular and Plural new gTLDs have more registrations in December 2019 than in...January 2019. On my list of 22 twins, only 16 out of 45 (.HOTEL had 3 "plurals) had more registrations after 12 months. The TLDs concerned are:
- .GAME and .GAMES
- .NEW (by Google)
- .PHOTO and .PHOTOS
- .WORK and .WORKS
- Some TLDs from ex Famous Four Media (now GRS Domains) lost (a lot of) registrations:
- The .ACCOUNTANT new gTLD lost 52,000 registrations in one single year;
- The .LOAN new gTLD lost (...) 2,182,000 registrations in one single year;
- The .REVIEW new gTLD lost 132,000 registrations in one single year.
- Only 5 TLDs lost no domain names from a month to the other during the entire period. The TLDs concerned are:
- .FAN (belonging to Multiple Registry Donuts Inc.) ended the year with 3,411 domain names;
- .GAMES (belonging to Multiple Registry Donuts Inc.) ended the year with 20,149 domain names;
- .MOTORCYCLES (belonging to Multiple Registry Dominion) ended the year with 214 domain names;
- .NEW ended the year with...262 domain names created;
- .WORKS (belonging to Multiple Registry Donuts Inc.) ended the year with 20,956 domain names created.
- 6 extensions still have one single domain name registration.
Coming: "City Name new gTLDs: 2019 in Review"