Note that this post is not about what Chinese do with their domain names (use, park, spam, squat, resell) but about the fact that it is important for Registries and Back-ends to sell domain names:
- To install them on the market: the more domains the greater visibility;
- Profitability: many domains, once bought, are renewed once a year.
At some point in its history, the .TEL Registry had 325,000 registrations. The .TEL registration volumes dropped below 100,000 in July 2016. In August 2016 they reached 96,611 domain name registrations. Then, they suddenly started to increase again progressively and reach the 103,000 registrations.
It appears that a Chinese template was recently created for the concept of .TEL domains and that could be an explanation.
New domain name registration volumes:
- New gTLDs related to SPORT;
- New gTLDs related to ALCOHOL;
- New gTLDs related to REAL ESTATE.
To receive our free Newsletter, register here.
What you missed in our previous Newsletter:
- Webinar DPML Plus (by the TMCH): Tuesday 11 October 2016, 16:00 [UTC]. Register here;
- What to Do When .com Is Taken;
- Roots hits 1,500 live TLDs as US oversight ends;
- Minds and Machines: Accepting tender offer and increase in position (by an insider/investor in multiple new gTLD applications);
- .CLUB Wins “Registry of the Year” at The Domain Conference 2016;
- The .XYZ pollution;
- New gTLDs "UA" (UA = Universal Acceptance): What the UA Group is fighting for at ICANN;
- Round 2: not before 2018?
- New gTLDs related to "COMPANIES" (Which new domain names should a company secure).
Most recent Trademark Clearinghouse Sunrise Period announcements
Post a Comment
Interested in learning if it makes sense to create your own new domain name extension? Ask Jovenet Consulting for your SWOT analysis.