"Two examples of this in the past few weeks are the decision by the Whoswho registry to essentially turn itself into a dotBrand..."I fast checked the application and saw no sign of this so I asked the registry for a confirmation. It is also possible that my English is too poor to correctly understand what "essentially" means in the sentence.
Whatever the decision of the registry is - I was aware of decisions from .BRAND extensions to turn to generic applications dedicated to selling domain names but I was not aware of the opposite - it can make sense to block from buying domain names to rent a service instead...based on a domain name. This is another way to deploy a TLD. Then it is a question of marketing it. Creating innovative projects based on new gTLDs is also something that we offer at Jovenet Consulting.
What you missed in our previous Newsletter:
- Let’s be honest, what’s the chance that all the new domain extensions fail?
- An Innovative new gTLD project;
- .HOSPITAL new gTLD: hey wait!
- Update: new gTLD AFRICA Redux
- How Search Engines Are Killing Clever URLs;
- 2016: The Year That Was in .brands;
- Donuts has acquired .IRISH
- Coming articles:
- "Confusing new gTLDs";
- New business model for Round 2 (a new business model for Round two of the ICANN new gTLD program).
- Cool - New gTLDs related to CITIES;
- New gTLDs related to CATERING;
- New gTLDs related to PHOTOGRAPHY.